Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Being a Mom

You'd think after three months, I'd get the hang of being a Mom. I'd like to think I had a schedule down, or knew when my baby was hungry, or tired, or just needed a change of scenery, but...I don't. I'm constantly worrying when he cries if he is hungry (I've had some milk supply problems recently...) or if he's in pain (sometimes he's gassy). Ugh. I had this whole plan down - graduate, baby, work. But so far, I haven't been working as much as I would like to. Talmage is a hand full. And I only have one child. I don't know what this means for me when I have more than one.

I told Daniel that I didn't want to be a stay-at-home Mom today. He said, "Then you can go to work and I'll stay home. I'd much rather do that." Oh boy, wouldn't he! I think he'd last a day before he realized that being a stay at home mom is kinda harder than it seems. Maybe if I had a car it wouldn't be so tough to be home all day so I could run some errands, or if it wasn't so cold outside so I could take Talmage for walks. I don't know what it is, but lately I just don't want to be at home all day. I almost want a job that will take me out of the house for a while. Just something to get dressed for, something to get me motivated again. I spend pretty much everyday in sweat pants and t-shirts. If anything, I should at least get dressed for my husband. I'm pretty sure he's sick of coming home to a wife who hasn't showered, dressed in pj's, and covered in whatever food I'm cooking for dinner. Don't get me wrong - I love being a mom. There is nothing like it. I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for sending me such a healthy baby boy and I'm grateful that he brings a smile to my face hundreds of times a day. But some days it's a little bit harder to be home all day and wake up to a pile of dishes waiting to be put in the dishwasher. Sometimes I feel like it's all I do...

I read a bunch of "Mormon mommy blogs" today. Where do they get the time to do all those things? How are they such super moms? (After reading this post, I even felt like a wuss...I would have loved to have this kind of birth story). They make their living off of writing (oh boy, how I wish I could do that!) and they have a large gathering of followers. I can't tell you how many times I wish I could make a small living from blogging about my life. I don't think mine is interesting enough to garner a large following though. Most of these women have stories to tell - either they have fought with infertility and have inspirational stories to share, or they are crafters and share their knowledge about everything crafty, or they just have exciting personalities that get people addicted. As exciting as it is to do the dishes everyday, change poopy diapers, and cook dinner, I'm pretty sure I don't have anything else to write about that people would want to read. Sure, I could talk about Talmage and all his developments and cute moments, but I'm sure that would get boring after awhile too. Being a mother has made me appreciate every little thing he does, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world wants to know too.

Anyways, these are the rantings of a stay-at-home Mom. Mothers out there, how did you get back into the swing of life? What made you want to get ready everyday? What did you do to make your days not seem so drab sometimes?

2 comments:

  1. This summer when I was home all day every day I got to this point too. Then school started and I had something to do outside of the home. It was a difficult transition that I thought would make me happier. I missed Avrie so much and now that it's almost over I am going to miss having that personal time. That time to have adult conversation. I am going back to being a stay at home mom and I have decided to make it my mission to figure it all out and be a super mom. I'll let you know how things go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't go back to work! It gets better, I promise. I've been running errands lately and I wish I would've called you.. it's always nice to have a friend come along. also, I remember when Ivy was that age, things were still pretty tricky. It wasn't probably until around 5 months or so that I really felt like we were getting her schedule down pretty well. Anywho, I know that even if I wasn't going anywhere, making it a habit to shower and do my hair every day made me feel a little more normal and ready for the day. It seemed to help out with those feelings of everyday mommy life seeming drab. I sometimes organize craft days with my neighbor. we are doing one soon and you should totally come! I'll give ya a call soon. :)

    ReplyDelete