Monday, January 11, 2010

How we met...

Our love story is beautiful, but quick. I think the most frequent question I've gotten is: "How did you meet?" So this post is for those of you who don't know how Daniel and I met.

A long time ago, I moved to St. George for the semester. A few weeks after I moved down there, my cousin, Mike (Who is an aspiring play write) asked me to be in a play he had written and that would be performed in October. I kinda laughed, but agreed to the absurd request to be in it. Sure enough, a couple of weeks before rehearsals started in September, I was debating about telling him I couldn't do it for some lame reasons, but mostly because I really knew I couldn't act. But I stuck through it and on September 9th, rehearsals began. The first rehearsal was at my Aunt's and as we sat around the table to do our first read through, I looked around at everyone at the table. I'd like to say that I saw Daniel, our eyes connected, and it was love at first sight but...it wasn't. I simply went to rehearsal, and came home. Didn't think anything of it. A couple of rehearsals later, more people were getting to know each other. I'd make casual conversation with everyone and actually started running with another guy in the play who was getting ready to go on a mission. (I thought "Well, this kid's safe to hang out with, he's younger than me.") I had just started to date someone up at BYU at this point, and wasn't interested at all in anyone else. But Daniel was easy to talk to, and through long rehearsals we found out we had a lot in common. We became really good friends. When I needed help with a dance number, I always asked for his help even though I felt bad for asking. (Little did I know, he was always hoping I'd ask for his help.) He told me later that he was always trying to find ways to talk to me, to help me out, and just to be close to me.

Here's a funny little side story. After a couple of rehearsals, I was in the market for a ukulele. I needed something to do with my free time after work. Since I didn't have any friends down there, I decided to pick up the ukulele and play like a Hawaiian Princess. (Wait, does Hawaii even have princesses? Oh well, it sounded cool.) So I went to Bert Murdock Music. I walked in, looked over at the cash register, and there was Daniel. I was like "Hey, that guy looks familiar." He noticed me at about the same time, and we both made the connection we were in the play together. He then helped me pick out "Jake," my wonderful ukulele. He was very patient with me as I took FOREVER to pick the right one. Thanks babe!

One of my favorite memories at rehearsals was towards the beginning when I was searching on my little lap top on the internet for songs to learn on the ukulele. I was laying on my stomach debating which ones to learn, when Daniel came and laid on his stomach next to me and suggested songs I should learn. (This is the first time we realized we had the same taste in music.) It was also the first time I really was like "Hey, this kid is pretty cool."

Daniel was always doing things to catch my attention at rehearsals, such as putting pizza boxes on his head, or jumping on a mini trampoline wearing a black Korean wig. I just thought the kid was hilarious. (And maybe a little obsessed with cars...) Daniel knew I had a boyfriend, but told me later he just couldn't stop pursuing me. He often got after Matt (Mike's younger brother, and my cousin) for not introducing him to me earlier. (Matt and Daniel were friends in high school while playing in a band together.) That's how it all began, really. We were in a play, we became good friends, and eventually fell in love.

Thank you to the Wiest family for encouraging Daniel from the very first rehearsal to go after me! I owe it to them. Love you guys!

So, that's pretty much how we met. Stay tuned for more fun stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment