Monday, February 21, 2011

I should be in bed right now, but for some reason, my body won't let me go to sleep. I blame it on the pregnancy. Nothing is how it used to be.

Daniel and I decided to take a break from our homework today and walk around the mall for a bit, just to get out. After only going to 3 stores, I was already tired and my head started to ache. What's up with that? Good thing today was a holiday, otherwise school and work would have been impossible. On a lighter note, I thought I would share a little story about this baby of ours.

It was a cold and dark December Sunday morning. Actually, it probably wasn't that dark, cause Daniel and I usually sleep in on Sundays, but the details are vague at this point in my mind. Anyways, I was late starting my period. I am never late with my cycle. Never. I have never skipped one either. My cycle was as constant and consistent as the rising sun. I was fortunate that way. That morning I had planned on taking a test. I admit, I was a little excited to take it. I crept to the bathroom, without waking Daniel, took the test, and waited impatiently for the five minutes to be up. Sure enough after only 3 or 4 minutes, two pink lines showed up on the little test strip. A smile crossed my face. Silent joy. After staring at the test for a moment, I decided to wake Daniel.

I crept back in bed to find him coming out of sleep. He rolled over to face me and looked a little groggy. I told him I left a surprise for him in the bathroom. I'll always remember what Daniel said next - "What, did you not flush the toilet?" I laughed. I made him go take a look despite the protests. He couldn't believe the results either. No really, he didn't understand. After explaining the whole testing for HCG, and how only pregnant women have the hormone naturally, he started to believe me (He was a little confused with the difference between ovulation tests and pregnancy tests). We laid in bed for awhile trying to soak in the news. I mean really, having a baby is a big deal. I know women plan how they will break the news to their husbands for days or weeks before they tell them, but I'm not like that. This was not something I could keep from my other half. Plus, I'm not that creative.

Sometimes I still don't think that it has registered in our minds that we're actually going to be PARENTS. Other times, I have anxiety attacks about it. Daniel is always there to pick me up and tell me what a great mom I'll be. I see the way he is with my nieces and nephews and couldn't be more confident about how great he'll be as a dad. I think another reason I struggle with becoming a parent is because I still feel so young. I'm actually not. I believe 23 is a ripe age to be multiplying and replenishing the earth (well, in a Utah sense, not so much the rest of the world). I just still feel like I'm 16 sometimes...maybe it's because people say I look that young. Whatever the reason, parenthood is coming no matter how prepared I am. I say, BRING IT ON. :) I've babysat since I was 11. It's about time I start watching my own kids.

Daniel and I don't really know how the future will pan out (I'm graduating, planning on being a stay-at-home mom, he's planning on going to grad school, and money is scarce), but I have complete confidence that everything will work out. It's not going to be a walk in the park, but I couldn't be more excited and thrilled to be starting our little family. Like Elder Wirthlin said, "Come what may, and love it." Rain or shine, I'll take it. I realize how blessed Daniel and I are and my wish is not to take it for granted.

4 comments:

  1. Do love it, because I know a couple people who really really want what you are getting. Congratulations though, you guys must be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so exciting! I'm so happy for you guys! How you took the test and told Daniel is almost exactly like how it went for me and Nate. Babies are the best, though somewhat unpredictable ... for example Jane just spat up on the couch as I was about to comment. When's your due date?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again Amie. I am so happy for you guys. Excited to hear more and see more pictures! Hope you are still feeling good!

    ReplyDelete